Friday, April 27, 2018

In Memoriam: Brian Jennings


In Spring 2011 I had the opportunity to take a political science course with one of the best professors I've ever met. Brian Jennings was a person who really just relished life. You could see his passion when he taught his classes, when he talked about his family, and when he talked about his cycling. He loved life and lived it to the fullest. The negligence of one person changed all that, though, on April 17 when a driver fell asleep at the wheel and killed Brian while he was out for an afternoon bike ride.

Even though I haven’t taken a class with Brian in seven years, his passing has still had a really profound impact on me. Years after being out of his class, he still remembered my name and greeted me regularly whenever I saw him around campus during the work day. He was kind and had a smile that showed more genuine care and warmth in it than you could ever imagine. And the fact that he died because of someone’s negligence is really bothering me.

Knowing what I know about Brian, though, he wouldn’t want me to simmer in anger. He’d want me to take my negative energy and do something positive with it instead. So that’s what I’m doing. Money is really tight right now, but I’ve been using the app Charity Miles off and on for a few years now and it’s the way that I’ve decided to react positively to what’s happened. The miles that I complete on CM are now dedicated to Brian and his love of nature. All my mid-day walks, bike rides, and runs are now dedicated to perpetuating his positivity.

I decided to dedicate my Charity Miles to Brian on April 24 after attending his memorial service on campus. Since then, I have donated $3.77-worth of miles to the National Park Foundation through Charity Miles. It isn't a lot, but it's a start that I'm very proud of. He deserves to be remembered. 

My first CM badge earned while completing #milesforBrian.
 




(Cross-posted to Call Me Little Bob 04/27/18)

No comments:

Post a Comment